Press digest – Ukraine
Eighth month of heroic resistance of Ukraine against Russian military invasion
Key updates on the war against Ukraine as of October 14, 2022
DESTRUCTION AND LOSSES
📌 More than 1,233 children were affected by the Russian armed aggression in Ukraine. 423 children were killed, and another 810 were wounded.
📌On October 10, Russia launched a missile attack on Kyiv. As a result of the shelling, critical infrastructure facilities (mainly power supply facilities) were damaged in 12 regions and the city of Kyiv, where more than 30 fires broke out. As a result of the attack, 19 people were killed and 105 were injured.
There was no power supply in 5 regions: Lviv, Poltava, Sumy, Kharkiv, and Ternopil. In the rest of the territory of Ukraine, the supply of electricity was partially disrupted.
During massive Russian shelling of Ukrainian territory, four rockets hit the open switchgear of the Burshtyn Thermal Power Station in the Ivano-Frankivsk region.
More than 1,000 people and about 120 units of emergency services equipment were involved in firefighting and rescue operations. The consequences are being specified.
📌 The cost of Russian missiles fired at Ukraine on October 10 is $400-700 million, according to Forbes Ukraine.
📌 ZAPORIZHZHIA REGION:
- The death toll from a rocket attack on Zaporizhzhia on October 6 rose to 17 people. 21 people were rescued, and 12 of them are in the hospital.
- As a result of the Russian night-time shelling of Zaporizhzhia on October 9, 50 multi-story buildings and 20 private houses were damaged. 17 people dead and 49 wounded are known. Among those killed in the shelling of Zaporizhzhia is a child. In addition, the number of wounded children has increased – now there are 11 of them.
- As a result of the shelling on October 10, the infrastructure of the city was damaged, and one section of a multi-story building collapsed. Another 5 people were injured. Among the wounded is a child with cuts from broken glass.
- As a result of the morning strike in Zaporizhzhia on October 11, an educational institution, a medical institution, and residential buildings were damaged. 7 people were killed, and the same number were wounded.
- On October 12, the Russians shelled Nikopol with Grad multiple rocket launchers and barrel artillery all night. A 6-year-old girl, her mother, and another woman were seriously wounded by gunfire.
- On October 13, Russia once again shelled the town of Orihiv. 9 people were wounded in Orihiv itself, and three more were wounded in Stepnohirsk. Destroyed houses, objects of civil infrastructure and utility networks.
- On October 10, the enemy launched a missile attack on Dnipro. At least four were dead and 19 were wounded. The Russians fired more than 10 missiles into the area. Four missiles destroyed air defence.
- On October 11, the Russians launched a missile attack on the energy infrastructure of the Pavlohrad and Kamiansky districts of the Dnipropetrovsk region, – the head of the Regional Military Administration Valentyn Reznichenko.
- On October 12, the Russians hit the energy infrastructure in the Kamianske district of the Dnipropetrovsk region.
- On October 10, the Russian military shelled Sloviansk: four people were killed, and a 12-year-old child was wounded.
- On September 27, the IAEA recorded new attacks on the territory of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant on Monday and Tuesday. IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi called for immediate action to reduce the threat to the nuclear facility.
- On the morning of September 28, the city of Hulyaipole in the Zaporizhzhia region was attacked by invaders. The enemy fired three S-300 missiles into the centre of the city. A ruined building that had the status of a historical monument. Also, the road was damaged.
On September 30, Russia struck a civilian convoy on its way out of Zaporizhzhia with missiles. People were standing in line to leave for the temporarily occupied territory to pick up their relatives and deliver aid. According to preliminary data, 25 people were killed and 50 people were wounded.
On October 12, at least 7 were killed and 8 wounded as a result of this morning’s enemy shelling of Avdiivka.
- 📌MYKOLAIV REGION:
- On the night of Thursday, October 13, Russian troops struck the Mykolaiv. Russian missiles hit an apartment building. Two upper floors were destroyed. An 11-year-old boy died in the hospital. He was found by rescuers after six hours of being under the rubble.
- The bodies of four killed civilians were found in the liberated Kupyansk-Vuzlovyi in the Kharkiv region — Prosecutor General’s Office. According to preliminary data, they were shot by the Russian military — they all had bullet wounds.
- On October 10, law enforcement officers found a tortured body in a forest plantation in the village of Synicheno, Izium district. The man’s head was completely wrapped in a bandage, and his hands were tied with a rope.
According to preliminary data from the investigation, the man was killed and tortured by the Russian military during the occupation of the settlement. After that, they left the body of the murdered man on a forest plantation.
📌 KHERSON REGION:
- Russians fired on a convoy of civilian cars in the Kherson region from an airplane: at least 5 people were killed. On October 7, around 8 in the morning, Russian soldiers fired on a convoy of civilian vehicles from an unidentified aircraft. People were standing in line for a pontoon crossing to the left bank of the Dnipro River near the Daryivskyi Bridge in the Kherson region. At least 5 people were killed and 5 wounded. Information on the final number of dead and injured, and damage to civilian infrastructure and vehicles is being established.
- On October 10, strikes were recorded on energy infrastructure facilities in the Lviv region. Water and electricity cuts in the city.
📌The Security Service of Ukraine discovered a new Russian torture chamber near one of the largest shrines in the Donetsk region. Security Service officers discovered a place of illegal detention of people in liberated Sviatohirsk, Donetsk region. The torture chamber was set up in a recreation boarding house near Sviatohirsk Lavra.
The Russian military forcibly kept residents who supported the territorial integrity of Ukraine there.
RUSSIAN AND BELARUSIAN CONTEXT
⚠️ The Russian occupiers and their collaborators are fleeing from the territory of the Kherson and Luhansk regions, particularly to the occupied Crimea, with their families. Representatives of the occupation authorities of Nova Kakhovka, Kherson region, are taking their families to the temporarily occupied territory of Crimea. According to available information, a convoy of 12 minibuses left for Sevastopol on October 7. A similar situation is observed in the Luhansk region. Thus, collaborators began to be evacuated from Starobilsk to the regional centre, the General Staff notes.
⚠️ On October 10, Russian propaganda began to spread fakes against the backdrop of a massive missile attack on Kyiv and other cities of Ukraine, and an active infantry offensive is starting. Note that this is a fake, and the Armed Forces of Ukraine do not confirm such information. Also, there is information that the embassies have begun evacuation from Kyiv. This is also fake news.
📌On October 9, The first 20 bodies were exhumed at the mass burial site in the liberated Lyman — head of the National Police Ihor Klymenko. Excavations continue at two locations: one buried about 200 civilians, and the other is a mass grave of servicemen of the Ukrainian Armed Forces. There are children among the victims.
📌 Estimated losses of the Russian Federation Army in Ukraine:
📌 The presidents of 11 European countries, in a joint statement, condemned massive Russian missile strikes on Ukrainian cities, warning that it was a war crime without a statute of limitations.
The joint statement was approved by the presidents of Bulgaria, Montenegro, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Hungary.
📌On October 11, Ukraine returned the bodies of 62 dead defenders – the Ministry of Reintegration. In particular, they managed to return the bodies of militants from Olenivka.
📌 On October 11, Ukrainian air defence shot down 14 enemy missiles, – speaker of the Air Force Command. Unfortunately, there are hits in Lviv. The city is partially out of power, but restoration work is already underway.
📌 On October 11, another 37 children deported by the occupiers returned home, the Ministry of Reintegration reported.
📌The prisoner swap was successfully carried out on October 11 — the Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine.
“We managed to release 32 of our soldiers, including officers, sergeants and soldiers of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The body of Israeli Dmytro Fialka was also returned.”
📌The Armed Forces of Ukraine liberated 5 settlements in the Kherson region — Operational Command “Pivden” (“South”).
📌 On October 13, 20 more Ukrainian soldiers were released from Russian captivity. Among the liberated Ukrainians, some were kept in Olenivka, as well as in the temporarily occupied territories of Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions.
📌 G7 leaders condemned the illegal annexation of Ukrainian territories. The G7 will also hold the Russian Federation responsible for any incident at the Zaporizhzhia NPP.
📌 The Ukrainian Armed Forces destroyed eight Iranian Shahed-136 kamikaze drones on the morning of October 14 in the east and south. The anti-aircraft missile troops of the Air Force shot down five drones, and three more were shot down by the air defence systems of the Military Naval Forces.
PUBLIC AND INTERNATIONAL SUPPORT OF UKRAINE
📌 The training mission concept provides the training of about 15,000 Ukrainian servicemen — Welt is Sonntag. By the winter of 2023, up to 15,000 military personnel from Ukraine will be trained in the EU – at the same time, Ukraine asked to provide training for nine brigades.
To organize the training mission, the EU will deploy two operational headquarters: one in Poland and one in Germany.
📌 Germany is forming an additional aid package for Ukraine of 11 million euros, which will include various winter equipment, writes Der Spiegel. In particular, we are talking about 100 thousand warm jackets and other winter clothes, 100 heated commander’s tents, hundreds of mobile power generators and food rations.
📌 The European Commission is working on a bill that will allow the seizure of assets subject to sanctions against the Russian Federation and use them as a contribution to the restoration of Ukraine – Bloomberg.
📌 France will increase its support for Ukraine in response to the needs expressed by Kyiv, including military equipment — Macron in conversation with Zelensky. The President of the Republic expressed extreme concern that Russia’s strikes resulted in civilian casualties.
📌India will not trade with Russia in rubles and rupees, the currencies for settlements will remain global – dollars and euros, – Times of India.
📌 Ukraine received the second tranche of €550 million as part of the emergency response package from the European Investment Bank (EIB) worth €1.59 billion. It will allow Ukraine to cover urgent financial needs and repair some of the most damaged infrastructure, including energy infrastructure.
📌Switzerland has included 30 individuals and seven organizations of the Russian Federation in the sanctions list, the website of the federal government reports. Their assets in
Switzerland must now be frozen and transferred to the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO).
📌 The Netherlands will give Ukraine anti-aircraft missile systems worth 15 million euros to strengthen the defence of the sky, the Dutch Defense Minister said. “The only result that Putin will achieve is that we will supply even more because of these types of attacks.”
📌Canada has announced a $47 million aid package to Ukraine, Canada’s defence minister said. First of all, the package will include: 500 thousand units of winter military clothing; artillery shells of $15.2 million; provision of satellite communications of $2 million.
📌 The Czech Republic will ban Russians with tourist Schengen visas from October 25, — Novinky CZ
📌NATO will soon transfer 100 drone jamming stations to Ukraine, which will help make Russian- and Iranian-made drones ineffective
📌Spain will give Ukraine 4 air defence systems “Hawk”. This was announced by NATO Secretary General Stoltenberg.
📌Portugal will give Ukraine six Soviet Ka-32A11BC helicopters, – Observador. The Minister of Defense added that the idea is to transfer the equipment as soon as possible.
📌The Netherlands allocates 70 million euros for the repair of heating in Ukraine, – the Minister of Internal Trade of the Netherlands.
📌Spain has transferred four Hawk air defence systems to Ukraine, Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov wrote on Twitter.
📌Lithuania has repaired German PzH 2000 self-propelled howitzers for Ukraine. They are already returning to combat. The Minister for National Defence of Lithuania, Arvydas Anušauskas, announced this. How exactly the artillery was damaged and how many units were repaired, the Minister did not say.